Environmental Monitoring System
Through a monitoring station located in the Campiche zone, the Company measured contaminant levels of particulate matter, nitrogen oxide, ozone, methane and non-methane hydrocarbons, and environmental variables such as wind speed and direction, temperature, humidity and solar radiation. These stations are integrated to a regional network to control emissions. From the year 2012, this monitoring is done continuously and in a web environment.
Since 2006 also apply the provisions of Supreme Decree No. 148, relating to health regulations on hazardous waste management, for which already obtained certification, and the DS No. 138 concerning the statement stationary emissions sources, so the company had to report generating equipment in the various terminals.
Marine Environment Monitoring System
Quarterly, the Company conducts a monitoring plan of the marine environment, by sampling at seven stations located in the sea, which are distributed around their marine facilities and specific locations of the bay.
Through these systems, measured sub littoral sediments, subtidal communities of white background, total hydrocarbons, and dissolved oxygen, oil and grease, heavy metals, sediment subtidal and ecological analysis of the number and behavior of subtidal communities, their individual and number distribution thereof.
The results obtained by monitoring systems and new decrees, indexes comply fully accepted by the Ministry of the Environment (ex CONAMA), Viña del Mar-Quillota Health Service and SAG Service (Servicio Agrícola Ganadero) and Puchuncaví Municipality. Furthermore, the above is complemented monthly reports, copies and backups magnetic and air quality monitoring on a quarterly basis with marine.
Complementary Actions and Projects Developed
Puerto Ventanas S.A., in its commitment to the environment and the community of which it is part , aims to implement all measures in their power to improve the operation of its terminals. The new actions that are carried out in relation to this matter include:
- APL: In 2012 , in conjunction with Asiva and area businesses, first stage developed "Clean Production Agreement Puchuncaví Industrial Zone - Quintero" signed on 01 December 2011 between the companies and Clean Production Board.
- Puerto Ventanas asphalted areas access to warehouse copper concentrates, minerals confined previously found in the open, well constructed mesh perimeter to prevent the dispersion of mineral particles into the environment.
- Additionally enabled truck wash plant , operating with recirculation system and water electrofloculation.
- In Petroleum Coal Terminal, perimeter fence was completed 7 meters high, similar to that mentioned for the stockyards copper concentrate , also with the aim to filter and contain the potential fugitive dust . This structure was designed with a tilt towards the inside of the court , thus the dust trapped inside the terminal fall.
- In Terminal Costa was enabled one rainwater treatment plant, which can capture and process waters and arrange sea decanted under conditions of DS 90.
- For unloading coal , in addition to the steps taken in 2011, was changed to 50% of the covers of the tapes , minimizing the risk of pollution to the environment.
- If you download each ship, shawls or tarps are used that are positioned between the dock and the ship to catch bulks particles that may fall during the transfer process.
- Also used floating sleeves spill control vessel around each potentially polluting load that is in operation , thus minimizing the risk of contamination of the sea.
- On the other hand in March was terminated the construction of the cellar for storing 60,000 tons of concentrate , with negative pressure system , dust collection system and modern reception system for trucks and loads near future to railroads.
- In order to maintain mineral concentrates confined work was completed temporary warehouse enablement to 35,000 tons, replacing the existing one bigger and better operating conditions.
The company is certified in ISO 9001-2008 and in 2012 began the process of certification of an SGI Integrated Management System, which also includes ISO 14001 and OSHAS 18001 certification audit is scheduled for the second half of 2013.
In 2012, special emphasis was given to optimize the environmental variables in operations, investing in infrastructure and other management, documenting the processes in consideration of the environmental variables.
Was continued confinement towers transferring tapes to site 2 and site 5, adding new potting conveyor 600 meters.
On the other hand, maintained for machinery operations and sweep dust suction to maintain the operational areas free of pollution.
Protective screens were installed in different areas of the terminal, protecting the areas of collection before the wind.
It created a green area of 2,500 square meters at the access terminal.